Folk Art Quilted Traditions by Suzy Webster
American Quilt Society Publications
80 pages, paperback; $22.95
Folk Art Quilted Traditions seems a bit of a departure from our regularly scheduled program. That is until that moment when, you know, handwork! Portable stitch-fixes to indulge in while at soccer games, watching television and sipping a little something special, at guild meetings or just when you’re having a little me time.
So, here are our top takeaways from this book:
- Suzy shares her quilter’s foot print, or her long-term goals as a quilt maker. Making and achieving goals is great. The goals may be as simple as stitching a consistent quarter-inch seam allowance or stitching hexagons together. They may be as complex as getting a quilt juried into QuiltCon. Defining your own quilty foot print is a step toward growing–and enjoying–your quilting more.direction.
- In the book, Suzy shares a great tip for checking how much a fabric will bleed. Her test involves hot water, a paper towel, and a resealable baggie. This is a new to us tip and wow! it’ll work on any fabric.
- Her applique patterns are based on cultural tradition, which Suzy has been steeped in her whole life. It wasn’t until Suzy’s aunt commented on the similarities that Suzy realized the quilts she was making reflected that cultural tradition. Modernist quilts have an aesthetic about them that reaches back into both cultural and art history. Think Piet Mondrian, Gwen Marston and Molly Upton, to name a few.
American Made Brand Solids are a strong option for applique pieces, says Suzy.
- “I learned this lesson by trying all the fabrics against the background.” What better way to check out how our fabrics will work. The cool thing is that Suzy’s patterns can be done up in the fabrics you love.
- Her Heritage Bag is an awesome way to get started with the applique. It’s a simple project to whet the appetite and get your applique mojo flowing.
- The cover quilt is really beautiful. Suzy uses red for the background which gives the quilt a lot of depth!
There’s been a bunch of blog hoopla about Suzy’s inspiring book, and it’s worthwhile to check them all out. Here’s the rundown:
Monday, October 10
Tuesday, October 11
Thursday, October 13
Friday October 14
Saturday October 15 – Final Wrap-up
For an opportunity to win a copy, simply click on the photo below and follow the directions. Suzy will draw a winner on Saturday.
Quilt. Sew. Live. Breathe.