Resolved, Version 2013 (Plus A Throwdown)

by melissa on December 29, 2012

If someone from a non-creative, non-quilting culture were to ask about the average stitcher’s New Year’s resolutions, they would come to the immediate conclusion that we are all slobs who never finish anything and never throw or give anything away.

Why?

Because most quilters and sewists rate cleaning the sewing room and finishing their UFOs as their top resolutions. (Totally better than losing weight and saving money, in our opinion.)

And we at GenQ are no different. We all lust after sparkling, well-organized, UFO-free sew-spaces. (And some of us even claim to be working on that.) We long to dazzle everyone with our skills, as well as our efficiency and gob-smacking design talent. Mostly, though, we just want to sew. And here’s how we plan to spend at least some of the coming year:

Melissa Thompson Maher, Editor-in-Chief

Mucking out the sewing room is a perpetual to-do around here, so I don’t think it really counts for this exercise. And practicing my freemotion machine quilting is another one of those always-and-forever tasks. But I do have a few specific ideas:

• Make that darned Sandlewood Jacket! I’ve been hanging onto a choice cut of Anna Maria Horner cotton velveteen for practically a year and if I don’t get it done by March, I’ll have to wait months again to wear it. (I live in the desert. Warm weather comes early.)
  • Harvest some of the old jeans I’ve been gifted over the years and make upcycled denim slip covers for my ancient, ratty This End Up sofa cushions. (I’ve literally got bales of the blue stuff!)
  • Go on a quilting or sewing retreat. It could be across town, for all I care, but it’s the stitchy immersion and learning something new that matters most.

Vicki Tymczyszyn, Technical Editor

It’s a short list, but an important one…

• Tackle my disgrace of a sewing room. Even though I have done this before, it always gets awful again by February. So, this year, I’m taking a different approach. I have decided to do a purge worthy of A&E’s Hoarders. Last year I managed to liberate five full boxes of fabric to charitable causes. This year I’m tackling my stacks of undone kits, as well. There may be a few I’ll keep, and I really mean a few, but everything else is going to a happy home. I am keeping my batiks, Christmas fabrics, patriotic fabrics and kids’ fabrics. The rest is history! (That’s about 12 additional boxes of fabric I’ve collected over the past 40+ years!) Once this is done, I will be able to get my sewing room in order and get my sewing stuff out of the living room! I’ll take a picture of the before (maybe) and after to let you know how it goes.
  • I’m going to continue my habit of finishing an old project before starting a new one. This actually works! I have whittled my UFOs down from more than 35 to about 18! Not bad for a fabriholic like me!

Megan Dougherty, Creative Editor

• Make a full Cathedral Windows quilt. I’ve started playing with it, and it needs work, but I think with a few tweaks it will end up looking lovely.
  • Learn more about wool felting and experiment with making jewelry.
  • Take my newly discovered embroidery passion and apply it to a quilt.
  • Organize my sewing room. Again. This may involve removing a wall and taking over my husband’s office. I’m sure he won’t mind.
  • Conquer bias edges and make a Lone Star quilt.
Tracy Mooney, Associate Editor
My stitchy New Years’s resolutions are as follows:
  • Organize my sewing space/office so that I can get more done in 2013.
  • Finish up my UFOs! I have a pile of half-done quilts that need to be made and on beds!
  • Create some spectacular designs for WeSew2 that even our adult readers will want to make.
Jake Finch, Publisher
As a true Virgo, I declare my resolutions to become perfect every year. And every year I fall way short of those resolutions by, oh, 3:30 p.m. New Year’s Day.
So this year I’m taking a different approach. I’m striving for progress, not perfection. And my stitching life is included. Here we go:
  • I, Jake Finch, do solemnly sweat-no swear, to complete at least all of my UFOs that are: 1. already started; 2. close to completion AND 3. destined as gifts for someone still breathing and still of an age at which the gifted UFO can still be appreciated. (Clarification: A baby quilt will no longer work for that sweet boy who is now 6′ 1″ tall and kinda stinky.)
  • I further resolve to release to the Great Goddess of Unfinished Projects those tarnished beauty queens in my cupboard that are just not making the rotary cut anymore. These include, among others, the reproduction Civil War quilt kit from that raucous weekend quilt show in 1997 that I barely remember purchasing; the uber-adorable fairy quilt that was supposed to go to a good friend’s newborn daughter–eight years ago (that child now mentally tears fairies apart in her pursuit of that Krav Magaw black belt); and the mauve-and-sky-blue calico Ohio Star started to match that Montgomery Ward sectional purchased in 1980-something and given away about three years later–four couches ago.
  • My final resolution allows me to make several incredibly beautiful projects just for me and mine because I just want to. After all, if I’m not exploring my own creativity, how am I going to improve my skills?
  • Oh, and I will also clean, muck-out and organize my sewing room. (I don’t want to be the odd-woman out on that one, but really, it won’t last more than say 3:25 p.m. on New Year’s Day.)
Here’s The Throwdown…
Vicki Tym is hot to declutter and you can be the lucky recipient of her textile largesse. Here’s the challenge: Reply to this post with your stitchy resolution and Vicki will ship you something. That’s it.
“I can’t make any promises as to what you may end up with, but it’s all quilting grade fabric and except for the kits and precuts, everything has been prewashed due to my allergies,” she says.
So, got resolutions?

Sherry Lidgard Identicon Icon Sherry Lidgard December 29, 2012 at 3:50 am

I hereby resolve to improve my machine quilting by finishing up the three or four (maybe five?) tops that have been laying around. And maybe do something with all the leftover blocks from finished projects. We’re empty nesters (again!) so now I need something other than my grown children to worry about and concentrate on. I choose myself and my itty studio!
Happy New Year GenQ!

Sequana Identicon Icon Sequana December 29, 2012 at 4:11 am

I really have to stop making more and more flimsies – get to the actual quilting is at the top of my list for 2013.

Happy New Year you guys.

Joanne Harris Identicon Icon Joanne Harris December 29, 2012 at 5:36 am

I resolve to continue my efforts to reduce and creatively use my stash. The last two years I have made 50 quilts from my stash I think I can do it again.

patty Identicon Icon patty December 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm

50 from your stash!! You go girl!.

Marianne Identicon Icon Marianne December 29, 2012 at 5:59 am

I resolve to clean out the closet in my sewing room and throw away anything I don’t plan to use this year. This includes oodles of batting scraps, scraps of t-shirts and linen from past quilt projects, and a whole lot of polyester thread from the 1970′s.

Johanna Identicon Icon Johanna December 29, 2012 at 6:03 am

I am so glad that I am not alone! My six year old will not let me start anything new until I finish some of my UFOs in the bins. Little does she know, I have more than one project in each of those bins. Oh wait, she did point that out. I tried to tell her that we could just buy more bins! No. She is going to make an excellent wife someday.

Sally Identicon Icon Sally December 29, 2012 at 7:01 am

Well, I’ve already committed to a ludicrous pile of projects for the upcoming year so I’m not going to resolve not to start new ones, that’d be silly! I’d like to clean up my sewing space. The space is a small room being used as an office and library already; the sewing came along and in a few short years has overtaken everything! I hereby vow to Make A Plan to better contain the havoc and to use or give away some of the less-favored fabrics (’cause you know I’ll be acquiring more for some of those upcoming projects!)

Jane Identicon Icon Jane December 29, 2012 at 7:04 am

One of my resolutions is to try hand applique this year. Thanks!

Jenn Identicon Icon Jenn December 29, 2012 at 7:22 am

I resolve to continue upgrading my sewing space. So far: storage armoire (almost outgrown), new table & chair to help ny back; next, a cabinet & shelves for magazines, patterns, containers of thread & other small items. I am researching quilt retreats & will attend one this year!

Kimberly Identicon Icon Kimberly December 29, 2012 at 7:25 am

My resolution is to finish a mystery quilt I started 2 years ago. I got through 3 of the 6 parts, but got stuck on the applique blocks. I’m going to take my time and do the best job I can. After I finish that big project, I will make a fun I-spy quilt for my little granddaughter.

Cheryl Identicon Icon Cheryl December 29, 2012 at 7:46 am

I am a newer quilter so I do not have huge stashes of fabric or UFO that are in the double digits so my resolution will be to learn at least 5 new quilting skills. On the list so far are piecing curves, FMQ, paper piecing, embroidery, and improve piecing.

Janice M Identicon Icon Janice M December 29, 2012 at 7:53 am

My stitchy resolutions:

-Finish my brother’s quilt BEFORE his wedding this summer
-Finish the top to the half-started t-shirt quilt
and most importantly:
-Keep quilting at least a little even though I work full time, have a newborn and a toddler, and am in an MBA program on the weekends…

My address is on my website http://www.wildrosepastures.com

Catherine E Identicon Icon Catherine E December 29, 2012 at 8:58 am

My two resolutions seem to be following the tend – finish organizing my sewing space to make it easier and more efficient of a space to use, and to commit to sitting down at my machine at least 5 days a week, even for only 15 minutes. We’ll see how that second part goes, but I know I would ho a long way in getting projects out of my head and actually sewn if I could do it! Thanks for the Throwdown, and for the opportunity to get mail surprises!

Marcy Identicon Icon Marcy December 29, 2012 at 9:27 am

I resolve to finish picking out a friends attempt at quilting an requilt it for her a.s.a.p. I also resolve to tackle my pile of tops to help me improve my machine quilting. But, I’d love to hear more about that idea of using old denim jeans to make new sofa (or chair) cushions. Maybe an article in our favorite mag about it?
Happy New Year everyone!

melissa Identicon Icon melissa December 29, 2012 at 9:29 am

Hmm, message received and understood! We can do that.

Liz Identicon Icon Liz December 29, 2012 at 9:31 am

I resolve to become more organized, quilt the half dozen tops that are currently finished, and finish hand-stitching the binding on a quilt for a show. I also challenge myself to utilize the fabric that I already have, especially to make quilts for those in need. Last, I would like to learn how to do needle-turn applique this year. Have a great 2013 everyone!

Kathy N Identicon Icon Kathy N December 29, 2012 at 9:35 am

I resolve to use up my fabric before buying new (backgrounds and bindings are allowed, because I never have anything that big, and certain designers, like Kaffe Fassett, are always allowed). I resolve to actually make the quilt I said I’d make for that big exhibit due in November. I resolve, just like every year, to do SOME art quilting every week, even when school is beating me about the head and shoulders.

Melody Myers Identicon Icon Melody Myers December 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

Stitchy resolution for 2013 is quilt at least half of the finished quilt tops in my made but not yet quilted stash.

Linda Fleming Identicon Icon Linda Fleming December 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

I don’t usually make new year resolutions but like most quilters I have several UFO’s in various stages to complete.
The dilema is which one to start with. Should it be the Amish – style churn dash (top finished , backing pieced, black batting from HOP still in its bag); the sampler quilt from Eleanor’s book (blocks finished…but which color to use for sashing?) ; the double basket block made in fairy frost fabrics (blocks ready for the final already pieced strips…) or the wall hanging/pillow made from an old sweater and decorated with Seminole strips …

Kim Identicon Icon Kim December 29, 2012 at 9:41 am

My resolution is to use the fabric I have on hand…only buying the solids needed to finish projects…finish my bags of UFO’s and start making Christmas gifts in Feb s they might be done by Dec,LOL!!!!!!

Best of luck to all of us!!!!!!!

Stevii Identicon Icon Stevii December 29, 2012 at 9:42 am

Organize studio and loose weight… same goals as every year. Don’t ask how well I do with either one!

Gale Identicon Icon Gale December 29, 2012 at 9:46 am

I resolve to finish most of the ufo’s that are within clear sight of my sewing machine (and that is a lot!), make at least one charity project for my guild each month, and begin digging out the mess in my sewing room.

Rina Identicon Icon Rina December 29, 2012 at 9:57 am

I resolve to make that t-shirt quilt my niece has wanted for at least three years as well as a Pitt State lap quilt for her. I also intend to make at least 50 pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer and at least 5 lap quilts for the local cancer center. I also resolve to try and keep my sewing space at least half way organized and to finish a ruler holder that I’ve been working on so I can actually see them all at once.

Kathy Shipp Identicon Icon Kathy Shipp December 29, 2012 at 10:09 am

Resolve to “find” all the projects that I’ve put away until I have time to spend on them and decide whether the project is still worth the time. If not, regifting is in order!

Mary on Lake Pulaski Identicon Icon Mary on Lake Pulaski December 29, 2012 at 10:18 am

I hereby resolve to make those Joseph’s Coat blocks into SOMETHING, put the house blocks into a quilt AND use the Two’s Company Bee blocks!

Jean Identicon Icon Jean December 29, 2012 at 10:23 am

I will continue to work on those UFO’s (and add to them, too!) lol Really, my quilty resolution is to spend more time in my studio, period!

Karen Sykes Identicon Icon Karen Sykes December 29, 2012 at 10:24 am

My new year resolution is to complete the Prairie Star pattern by Judy Niemeyer , I bought last year. I keep looking for the perfect fabric to make this my most stunning quilt project. I’m thinking batiks in bright colors.

Mandie Identicon Icon Mandie December 29, 2012 at 10:30 am

Now that my first quilt is under my belt, I resolve to finish at least one quilted item each month of 2013, with big hopes of making a few full size quilts.

Raven Identicon Icon Raven December 29, 2012 at 10:33 am

I hereby resolve to be able to see my floor in the sewing room, use my iron less and my stitch ripper less. I resolve to measure twice cut once a lot more frequently, I resolve to send my UFOs that are jsut too ugly to face to go to a UFO project that might find soemthing useful to do with them . I will clear out the fugglies from mystash and those bought in a moment of madness. I will clean my machine weekly , change my needle reguslarly , improve my thread quality and learn to trim and press more accurately . Hell if I can see my floor I would be happy :) . I will also make 3 quilts for charitable causes this year .

Linda Identicon Icon Linda December 29, 2012 at 10:35 am

I WILL organize my sewing studio- really
I WILL finish my UFO’s
I WILL have more fun sewing…especially if I can find what I am looking for and not feel guilty starting a new project !

Joanne Moore Identicon Icon Joanne Moore December 29, 2012 at 10:37 am

In August we had to move out of our house for a major remodle. I made several full car load runs of my quilt “stuff” to our getaway home by myself so my husband would not have me committed. However I will say he supports my quilt illness 100%. he has discovered how easy it is to take care of my birthday, Christmas, Mothers Day gifts by getting me a gift certificate to the quilt store and a pack of fat quarters or a jelly roll, etc….He is a gem…but back to my resolutions… Anyway I had to haul bins and boxes and books, ALL OF IT MYSELF and I refuse to have to haul it all back come April or May. Plus instead of moving it all back to the dining room and laundry room and other nooks and cranies around the house, I am actually going to have a designated sewing room!!!! SO I am out to conquer the numerous UFOs, make something with my bins of screwy scraps that my girlfriends love to tease me about(they so wish they had them..not) and move into a room that looks like those pristine gorgeous never been sewn in, sewing rooms. However upon further contemplation, this resolution is shakey as I have about 4 quilts to make for graduation gifts…kid gets thru college, they have earned a quilt! I also have a Judy Neimeyer kit almost 2 years old crying for attention which I purchased on an all at once plan instead of block of the month as I was going to do it right away. Really have to learn to paper piece properly before I start it. In addition to the roughly 10 plus UFOs, can I do this in about 4 months? Plus the Road to California show is just a month away and I have to get a souvenier or two from it. By jingo I will give it my best shot. Best of luck everyone on those resolutions!! The most important thing is to have fun in the process and even the smallest progress come year end is PROGRESS!

Kylie C Identicon Icon Kylie C December 29, 2012 at 10:40 am

1. Make a quilt just for myself this year- all my quilts end up being gifts or for a specific purpose so I want one for my own snuggling joy.
2. Finish my wedding quilt – now a 6 year long UFO.
3. Photograph and document all of my family’s quilts- they were made by my great-great- grandmother, great-grandmother and their sisters. Each family unit has a few quilts so a picture collection would be a wonderful way to see all of them together and I want the documentation as a quilter and a historian.
4. Get my great-great-grandmother’s treadle machine tuned up- I think it would make the perfect beginner’s machine since it just stitches straight and only goes as fast as you treadle it. My niece want to learn to sew this summer so this goal has a deadline!

I don’t have to clean or organize my sewing space since I have no dedicated space just a storage closet that must be kept organized or I won’t be able to get my sewing machine out. Seriously, I have to use my church’s community room to baste any quilt larger than a tabletop because my house is so tiny and I have no floor space.

Laura Haywood Identicon Icon Laura Haywood December 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

I resolve to finally make the batik and Christmas quilts that have been in my list for years!

Lois Identicon Icon Lois December 29, 2012 at 10:48 am

Always and forever it seems my resolution is to become more organized. This year, I will mix it up and be more specific. I want to organize my sewing space and craft supplies so I can see what I have, where it belongs and maybe actually use some of it !!

Naomi Identicon Icon Naomi December 29, 2012 at 11:05 am

Make friends with my sewing machine again! We’ve gone our separate ways for far too long and we really do miss each other. :-)

kris jarchow Identicon Icon kris jarchow December 29, 2012 at 11:09 am

I just got back into sewing more and quilting more in the last year or so. With that said I had to go out and buy new modern fabrics to get me motivated. I vow for every new thing I make this year that I dig in my old stash and make something from the old. I sort of like that mix as something a little fresh too so it should be fun. I also have tons of fabric for clothing so I plan to make one new clothing item a month from my stash. I think I can I think I can…..?

Eva Brown Identicon Icon Eva Brown December 29, 2012 at 11:19 am

Having tidied my sewing corner already, I’m feeling good on that score. I do want to continue my keeping a quilt with hand work and one with more machine going at the same time, so as to have them both there for my little fingers. I want to continue to sew for others, having enjoyed Christmas so much more with quilts under peoples’ trees.

My resolution is to attempt to tackle (and have permission to fail at!) the quilting things I’m bad at: quilt with patterns on my home machine and not just fm and tackle more triangles in piecing. I’d also like to finish my 2 ufos and start a few quilts that are only in my head… Happy New Year, Gen Q! Love your stuff.

Becky Greene Identicon Icon Becky Greene December 29, 2012 at 11:22 am

I resolve to stop waiting for the “perfect” project for some FQ bundles and just cut into them already! I want to make a full-size quilt with a Chicopee bundle and MUST finish the three quilts that are finished tops. Oh… and put away all my fabric that I pulled out in the Christmas frenzy. That might take until May :-)

Carole Gold Identicon Icon Carole Gold December 29, 2012 at 11:26 am

Focus.
My resolution is to focus on completing projects already in progress. I started on this mission after Christmas. Two down, 29 to go!
My mantra for 2013 is, DONE is better than PERFECT.

Carol Broughton Identicon Icon Carol Broughton December 29, 2012 at 11:28 am

I resolve to sew more, I desperately need to sew in order to counteract a ton of stress!!

Cornelia Identicon Icon Cornelia December 29, 2012 at 11:43 am

I resolve to muck out my sewing room (again and again), get rid of the fugly and the what-was-I-thinking UFOs that are never going to be finished, find a way to organize my thread (Pinterest, here I come!) and get caught up with my “12 x 12″ group quilts-I’m behind by two and have two that are unfinished-GAH!.

Sherri Identicon Icon Sherri December 29, 2012 at 11:58 am

I loved reading everyone’s resolutions. I could just say ditto. Seriously, though, everything is coming out of the sewing room, and I’m painting before I carefully put stuff back in!

Debra Lee Identicon Icon Debra Lee December 29, 2012 at 11:59 am

I will (try) clean my sewing room and remove anything not sewing related since that;s where all the stuff ends up.

I will make at least 4 items for charity this year.

I will get my Etsy store filled up and opened.

I will not feel bad about myself if none of the above happen.

Annette Identicon Icon Annette December 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I resolve to finish my daughter’s high school tshirt quilt before she finishes college!

Deena Winkeler Identicon Icon Deena Winkeler December 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm

First (maybe even BEFORE 2013), I’ve go to put all my Christmas fabric away. I tend to just throw it behind me when I’m working on my usual Christmas project, and there’s now a bit of a mountain there. :-/

I have two quilt tops that were completed as part of “Pay It Forward–2011″ (yes, I typed that correctly, 2011) that was going around on facebook. I resolve to get both of those finished. Then I’ll work on the five (FIVE?! Who upped the number?!?) “Pay It Forward–2012″ items. Those will NOT be bed-sized quilts!

I also have a quilt top that will need some length added before I finish it (it WILL get finished in 2013!, because my firstborn would like for his still unfinished “baby quilt” to actually keep his feet AND shoulders warm at the same time. I may not make it in time for his 15th birthday in January, but I WILL finally finish it for him. This year is the year. :-)

I’ve been making 4″ pieced Christmas ornaments and the clutter has overtaken my sewing table. Before I can tackle any of these larger projects, like so many others posting here, I have to organize my sewing space.

Now that I’ve typed this out for everyone here to see…I guess I’d better actually do it. :-)
(Thanks for making me accountable!)

Elizabeth K Identicon Icon Elizabeth K December 29, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I resolve to finish my unfinished projects, to find new ways to use my stash, practice more with my free motion foot, and really learn to use my machine to the fullest. Of course, this will all depend on my other jobs: working full time on Capitol Hill, and caring for my very busy 2 1/2 year old! :-)

Happy New Year to the entire GenQ crew!

Rebecca Anderson Identicon Icon Rebecca Anderson December 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’ll finish the “coming of age” quilt for my youngest child. The other two got their quilts right on time, but the third is two years behind!

Kenna Webb Identicon Icon Kenna Webb December 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I resolve to start putting my needs more at the top instead at the bottom. One of my greatest wants and needs is to spend time in my quilting barn enjoying myself. I am going to schedule time on the calendar for myself to quilt, my quilting group, any classes etc that I would like to take, quilt shows etc; along with grandkids ball games, parents drs appts, etc. If I don’t start taking care of myself I won’t be able to take care of others.

Four dogs and one quilter Identicon Icon Four dogs and one quilter December 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Finish my UFO’s, seriously ! Buy no new fabric in 2013 unless it is absolutely necessary to finish a UFO. No straight seams, curves are it this year. That should keep me busy.

Sue Shore Identicon Icon Sue Shore December 29, 2012 at 12:56 pm

My resolution – stop the grind of trying to do things perfectly through repetition and allow myself to experiment more! That means that my sewing space will probably get more more messy and cluttered – I never resolve to clean it up until April, anyway. Happy New Year, GenQ!

Heather Identicon Icon Heather December 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm

My goals for this year are: 1) finish one particular UFO – I was thrilled when I started it, why is it languishing?
2) make a special baby quilt by summer, 3) make more progress on an embroidered baby quilt (oh, wait, another UFO) 4) learn paper piecing, 5) make at least one bag from “Japanese Quilting Piece by Piece” – these patterns are so appealing!, and 6) generally find/make more time for playing with a needle and thread and creating more! Happy New Year!

Rachelle Identicon Icon Rachelle December 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm

My new years resolution is to use my stash, no purchasing except for plain fabrics to go with my exisiting stash to finish items.

Deb Identicon Icon Deb December 29, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I’ve been quilting for quite a few years – I need to honestly go through everything and see what I should let go of. My neighborhood usually has a spring garage sale, so my plan is to put everything I don’t want out and see what someone else will give a good home to.

Linda H. Identicon Icon Linda H. December 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I resolve to finish at least three of my 16 UFOs. Yes, I’ve listed them on an Excel spreadsheet and know EXACTLY what I need to do to finish each of them. Three is do-able; more is just bonus. Thanks for the chance to win.

MelissaMaher Identicon Icon MelissaMaher December 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm

No chance involved, Linda. Vicki’s promise was ANYONE who shared their resolutions would get a mail surprise of fabric. So you’re in, girl!

Janet Identicon Icon Janet December 29, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I have been using my “Scrap” to make very lively,lovely quilts. This year I will attempt to use the rest that is cut up and ready to go!

Chris Identicon Icon Chris December 29, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I resolve to put binding on a beautiful king size bed quilt I made 6 years ago and put it on my bed. I also need to put binding on the very first quilt I made which is full size. I am going to practice more free motion quilting designs and would love to finally have the construction in my sewing room complete!

Ellen Pine Hurteau Identicon Icon Ellen Pine Hurteau December 29, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I aim to finish the three almost done quilts in my to do bin, the quilt that is on my bed….but not bound. The quilt that I have the pattern, and the fabric already cut sitting in one of those nice fabric like bags. I also found one hand pieced quilt that will be done by our quilt show next September, that just needs the border and hand quilting…but it’t small and I can do it.

Wanda Myers Identicon Icon Wanda Myers December 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm

1. Organize the quilt studio…take one day a month to put everything back in it’s place! Maybe that will take this off my list for next year!! I do hope to keep this resolution longer than Jake! Smile!!
2. When I find a duplicate tool/book/pattern in my studio, find it a new home!
3. Finish the purple quilt top started during the Moda BOM (in 2010??)
4. Finish the Fig Tree quilt that I cut in 2011.
5. This should be # 1 on the list, finish Lexi’s baby quilt.
6. Keep up with the TQS BOM every month.
7. Finish at least one quilt class project!
Oh my, I’d better get busy! Hope every one has a happy and productive new year!

De Identicon Icon De December 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm

My resolutions…….to finish at least two UFOs – that should be achievable

Be slightly more organised and put things away after I have used them and not end up with a pile of stuff in the middle of the desk that I have to push from one end to the other depending on what I am doing!

Practice FMQ

Donna Identicon Icon Donna December 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I’ve heard that what you do on New Year’s Day is an indication of what you will do through the year. I didn’t sew enough in 2012, so I plan to sew on 1/1/13 to get a jump on the new year. Oh, and I have to count inventory, so I’m bound to do a little cleanup so there’s someplace to set a box down. No major promises, though.

Amy C Identicon Icon Amy C December 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm

My resolutions are simple this year – work on (and finish) a WiP BEFORE starting another new project so I can feel guilt-free starting something new and get lingering projects done (yay) and to walk the dog more as he was neglected a wee bit these past couple of weeks prepping for the holidays and stuff.

Spontaneous Threads Identicon Icon Spontaneous Threads December 29, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Last year I made a concerted effort to finish all my UFO’s an I did make a significant dent. For 2013 I want to finish them all and to make that happen I have placed each project in a plastic stacking tray an put them out where I can see them. All the bits and pieces that I need to make the project are in the bin. I plan to finish these in between my 2013 Must Do’s. 2 quilts for college bound freshmen and 1 quilt for a graduating senior. With my left over UFO’s and my to do list I should be pretty busy again. I also try to tackle a new technique every year and 2013 will be the same. I haven’t yet decided which one but I’m excited to begin searching. If I get the quilts I need to make made and finish my UFO’s my sewing space will be significantly more spacious.
Thanks for keeping us on tract in 2013!

Carol Y Identicon Icon Carol Y December 29, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I’m going to try my mom’s 2011 resolution – Finish 2, start 1. And the one had better be from my stash! I may even add to the challenge and try to finish one a month.

Lisa Mayfield Identicon Icon Lisa Mayfield December 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm

My resolution is pretty short and sweet, and pretty much the same as every year for the past decade or two:

I resolve to not make any resolutions. But if I do, I resolve to feel ABSOLUTELY NO GUILT if I fail to achieve my stated goals.

That said, I DO intend to create more art this year, no matter what form, function or material may be involved in said art project. One piece each week would be fine, but a piece every day would be awesome!

As for sewing, I do have some UFOs that need to be finished, and a short list of projects that I have planned. So I’ll try to at least work on some of them, and get them out of my way so I can plan and complete even more projects.

Tabitha Identicon Icon Tabitha December 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I resolve to make my first quilt. I have been collecting fabric and searching for just the right beginner pattern. I just finished washing my fabric stash, so now it is time to get started.
Also, I resolve to start teaching my daughter how to sew (she is 9).

jake Identicon Icon jake December 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Hey Tabitha: I want to help you!! I love Quilt Virgins. I’ve got suggestions for pattern and fabric choices and thoughts on how to start. If you’re interested, email me directly at jake@generationqmagazine.com. I also have an 11-year-old daughter and I teach a kids class so I can help with the other part of your resolution as well.

Joan T Identicon Icon Joan T December 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I would like to make each of my grandchildren a couch throw or bed quilt, and each of my children a seasonal table topper or bed quilt. I would like to do more charity work and fewer mystery quilts that I sometimes spend a lot of time on and decide when they are finished that I don’t like them. I would like to learn how to applique. At the same time I hope to organize my fabric better and declutter. And, I just want to have fun quilting.

Aimee Morgan Identicon Icon Aimee Morgan December 29, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I resolve to make a quilt and keep it for myself. I know it sounds selfish, but if you come to my house you would think i am a fabric hoarder whose relatives quilt. Not a single finished project of mine can be found in my house. If I make something for myself I can say “yes, I am a quilter, and this is something I made.”

Debbie H Identicon Icon Debbie H December 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I resolve to give all my craft pursuits equal time. Right now my fabric stash is being sadly neglected in favor of yarn. But I have so many sewing ideas! And I only have one UFO!

leanne Identicon Icon leanne December 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm

with way too many ufos to count my 2013 resolution is to finish all my started quilt tops and to have all my quilt tops turned into quilts – I have a new machine so I’m really hoping to be able to free motion quilt quite a few of these quilts – fingers crossed :) I’ve also resolved not to start anything new but of course we all know that’s a very hard one to stick to !

Lea McKenna Identicon Icon Lea McKenna December 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm

1. I resolve to pull the sewing room back together! Preparations for Christmas have really allowed me to make a mess of it!

2. I resolve to complete at least three UFO’s.

3. My first quilt of 2013 will be Simply Woven from the Moda Bake Shop! Love that Simply Color fabric!

Kelly Identicon Icon Kelly December 29, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I resolve to organize my sewing room and quilt studio. Looking at the disorganization is driving me nuts. Note to self, when I am done creating 1 project, put all fabric, patterns, etc away before starting another.

Melisa Identicon Icon Melisa December 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I resolve to get some of these design ideas in my head translated onto paper with instructions, and maybe even make a few test quilts or have some of my quilting friends test my instructions for me!

tricia scott Identicon Icon tricia scott December 29, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I will not buy fabric just because it is on sale. Must have a project in mind.

patty Identicon Icon patty December 29, 2012 at 4:48 pm

This year I am going to work on finishing my UFOs. I have them in every stage work, some cut, some half sewn, some all blocks that need to be put together….you know the story. I am going to put myself on a no new fabric diet until I can at least find the floor in the sewing room. Or I could run a contest like this and send all my UFOs and scraps to other unsuspecting people. :)

Liz Renner Identicon Icon Liz Renner December 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I hereby swear. Well… I do! I swear, probably too much. Well, I hereby resolve to spend more time on my longarm free motion quilting planned designs. I also resolve to learn to use my Bernina Embroidery Software, Editor Plus and create my own designs. How’s that? It’s really going to get done anyway, but it gave me a chance to swear and to resolve and to hope for a pretty thing in the mail. You’re awesome! Thanks and Happy New Year!

Diana Summers Identicon Icon Diana Summers December 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I am going to finish 3 quilts in progress by (HOPEFULLY) February 3rd. 1 top is done, 1 top is on the design wall to stitch together tomorrow & all the 9 patch blocks are ready for the 3rd. It generally takes me a couple months to make a quilt so 3 in just over 3 months will be a record. The prospective due date is Mr’s Birthday/Super Bowl Sunday & I want these 3 quilts on the sectional that arrived LAST Christmas!

Bottom line is: SPEED it up & get faster :)

Judy Stadler Identicon Icon Judy Stadler December 29, 2012 at 5:03 pm

OK. I’m game… My stitchy resolutions for 2013 is to 1) finish all my UFO’s (there are only 3 left) 2) Actually work on and develop at least 3 of my “grand idea” projects. 4) This does not take into account that I will have 3 baby quilts to make in 2012 – one of which is for my own first grandchild and 1 wedding gift quilt for a nephew. And finally 5) to reorganize my sewing space (it is not an actual room, but only a part of a room) so that I feel invited to sew every day. Whew!

Emi Ishino Identicon Icon Emi Ishino December 29, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I resolve to continue finishing one ufo before starting something new. I further resolve to sew at least three times a week. (Hard to do while working full time.)

Monica Spicker Identicon Icon Monica Spicker December 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I resolve to do more art quilts – like quilting for ME – rather than eternally making quilts for every baby out there. I also aim to finish all the currently basted quilts and get at least to the basting stage quilts that are currently in bits and pieces.

I also want to really get into knitting again.

Megan Burck Identicon Icon Megan Burck December 29, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I resolve to not start another bed sized quilt until the current bed sized ufos are completly done. (at least until I fall in love with more fabric. Then all bets are off!)

Sandra Davidson Identicon Icon Sandra Davidson December 29, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I resolve to learn to machine quilt once and for all this year because of Arthritis I can’t hand quilt. I want to finally make my husband a quilt out of the material I bought the year we went to the quilt show at Paducah in 2004 .
Happy New Year to all.

SarahC Identicon Icon SarahC December 29, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I have plans (and some fabric) for quilts for two of my three sisters and I hereby resolve to have them pieced and quilted in time to be Christmas presents next year. I’m also going to swipe the resolution about finishing a UFO before starting a new quilt.

ann hein Identicon Icon ann hein December 29, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Not only do I have quilting projects to finish/organize but I also knit! So I am organizing those project and clenaning up my sewing space. I have quite a few knitting projects that are started though there are many more quilting ones! This year I am taking a knitting project with me on everytrip – I travel for my job so many times I will stop and pick up a project – this way I won;t have too! Also my hubby likes to watch TV in the evening so when I sit with him I will knit! My daughter is also a sewer crafter and has friends over once a week to sew or craft – they have taken over the dining room! In light of this I am removing some of my decorative items and bakers rack and putting in some cube storage for supplies! During the day I can work on my sewing in my studio – using the finish one thing then start something new attitude! Crafters rule at this house!

ritainalaska Identicon Icon ritainalaska December 29, 2012 at 6:07 pm

my first resolution is to work on my ‘kits’, cut during the years and stashed, my second resolution is to give 60 yards to the quilt guild so i c an reorganize my fabric space and make room for some of the new collections pieces on my wish list.

Paula Moser-Spaulding Identicon Icon Paula Moser-Spaulding December 29, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Well, I’ve cleaned up my studio and it’s all ready to go. For 2013 I resolve to spend more time sewing for m self as opposed to only sewing for my customers. I am also going to make more time to sew with my kids, who love to quilt. I am going to bind the quilt I did quilt for myself this year! I am going to finally start some of those projects that I have been putting off– they are all organized and ready to cut! If I do this, it will open up some storage space to store more projects to be started!! LOL

Cheri Hage Identicon Icon Cheri Hage December 29, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I will strive to spend more time in the sewing room. In order to do this, I am removing very old and untouched bits of leftover fabrics and projects and will donate the lot :) Hope all have a safe and happy New Year !

Kelly Identicon Icon Kelly December 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I resolve to try paper piecing!

Genevieve Identicon Icon Genevieve December 29, 2012 at 7:03 pm

My resolution is to work on my Free Motion Quilting and get all my tops made into quilts. I have too many tops and not enough quilts. Thanks for the giveaway.

Caroline Identicon Icon Caroline December 29, 2012 at 7:13 pm

My New Year ‘s stitching resolution is to break free from patterns and let my own creativity drive my piecing/ quilting . I would also like to dedicate more time to mater the art of free motion quilting but that may have to wait until I figure out some techniques a bit better

Jeannie Dawson Identicon Icon Jeannie Dawson December 29, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I resolve to dig out and finish as many UFO’s as possible while trying to be a more organized person. A bigger sewing/ office area wouldn’t hurt either!

Rose Hall Identicon Icon Rose Hall December 29, 2012 at 7:24 pm

My New Years Resolution is to learn how to use the Paintstiks my husband bought me 2 Christmas’ ago!

Sarah Craig Identicon Icon Sarah Craig December 29, 2012 at 7:25 pm

In 2013 I resolve to: 1) Make a king-sized quilt for my own bed (can you believe I’m a quilter and don’t have a home-made quilt on my own bed?); 2) Do better at keeping records of who has donated what to our quilt ministry, so I can give credit where credit is due when we use a donated top or blocks; 3) Learn how to quilt feathers on my long arm machine; and 4) Be more consistent in blogging about our quilt ministry quilts!

And Vicki, you can send our ministry anything you want – we always find good homes for the UFOs and orphans blocks and kits that are donated and you can feel good knowing that you’ve done good AND cleaned out your stash at the same time!

Paule-Marie Identicon Icon Paule-Marie December 29, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I resolve to pack up my entire sewing room before the new house is done and to be more organized in the new sewing room.

Margaret Identicon Icon Margaret December 29, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I resolve to SHOW UP, to do something at the sewing machine at least 3 times a week.

Shannon Maciejewski Identicon Icon Shannon Maciejewski December 29, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I am resolving to reduce my UFO stash by at least half this year! I have 17 right now, twice what I had last year…

quiltzyx/sue Identicon Icon quiltzyx/sue December 29, 2012 at 8:39 pm

#1 – I will strive to finish the batik quilt that is in partial blocks underneath the other stuff on my sewing table. I have already put up the new curtains that are neutral enough to go with it & darn it, I want a quilt on my bed!
#2 – Widen the paths & trails through my house & gift a LOT of the things that are there to the Goodwill or another worthy place.

That’s it. I don’t want to get too carried away here.

Happy New Year!!

Kristin M Identicon Icon Kristin M December 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I want to train my children to leave me in peace for more then two minutes so I can sew a bit. It’s real troublesome when the 2 year old decides its fun to turn on and off the sewing machine : ) I also need to get a quilt finished for a girlfriend who’s baby in now 4. I need to finish a mystery quilt started last year and make a banner for my husband. That is the short list.

Marcia Identicon Icon Marcia December 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Resolve to complete one project from the “pigs” before starting one that is brand new!
(pigs-projects in grocery sacks)

ro Identicon Icon ro December 29, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Finish some UFOs, is always a goal…. and keeping in line with everyone else….organizing the sewing room!!

Barbara Corbitt Identicon Icon Barbara Corbitt December 29, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I resolve to hopefully win some fabric or kits to make and and donate to the neonatal unit and the physical rehab unit. I was in a bad accident and spent over 3 months in the hospital two of which was in physical rehab. Everyone there used wheelchairs to get around. Some were stroke vi tims or like me had broken bones and could not walk. I had among other injuries. The nurse would cover our legs with either a sheet or blanket. The bad part was they eithed slid to the floor or got tangled in the wheels. I would like to make throws for the elderly who seem to always be cold. My problem is i only receive 345.00 for disability. I dont have a machine, so all my quilts are pieced and quilted by hand. To date i have made over 200 quilts and gave them away. babscorbitt@gmail.com

Elizabeth Johnson Identicon Icon Elizabeth Johnson December 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm

1. Organize my totes of fabric – just need to figure out if by color or type! 2. Clean sewing area 3. Join a Modern BOM – learn new things. 4. Work on blog 5. Baby stuff for new grand daughter 1/2013 yippee! Happy New Years – be safe on the roads!

Fran Identicon Icon Fran December 29, 2012 at 9:37 pm

As a quilter for only 2 years I don’t have an incredible stash to sort out, but I do have one UFO that is giving me nightmares, and I am trying to convince myself to finish it before I start anything new, BUT we all know that is not going to happen! So my resolution is simply to get it done in the very near future, maybe I can get it quilted in between new projects?? Happy New Year everyone and Happy Quilting!

Vicki Tymczyszyn Identicon Icon Vicki Tymczyszyn December 29, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Joanne and Patty,
I Soooo, hear you, 50? come on, I can do that in my sleep. (Several years ago I made 20 quilts for the graduating seniors in my daughter’s high school marching band, then another 20 or so for classes and gifts. The year before that I made 75 for foster children. The minimum size was 40″ square and went up to 55″ X 80″, I have a LOT of stash!) I guesss I may have to fess up and post a photo to make believers out of you, as humiliating as it may be.
Vicki

paula Identicon Icon paula December 29, 2012 at 10:32 pm

This year I hope to reduce my stash so I can reduce the guilt I feel when I purchase more.

I would also like to make a number of charity quilts this year. And to practice more machine quilting in the process.

Kathleen Roon Identicon Icon Kathleen Roon December 29, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I resolve to use the special fabric I bought in New Zealand. I don’t know what I’m saving it for. I also pledge to challenge my quilting ability with 3 new skills.

Elizabeth McDonald Identicon Icon Elizabeth McDonald December 29, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I have 2 resolutions! One is to start a blog (finally!) and the second is to open an etsy store. It is so hard to follow through with resolutions – at least for me! — so I have mapped out what to accomplish in January, and in February, and in March…all leading to fulfillment of the two goals! Happy New Year!

Dianne Ritter Identicon Icon Dianne Ritter December 30, 2012 at 12:26 am

The plan for 2013 quilting wise?…. do more with what i have and shop less…no really, I have a mountain of stuff and no will power whatsoever!
Practice free motion quilting on a regular basis so I become passably good at it – I have a BSR for goodness sake you wouldn’t think it would be that hard!
Finish up my rapidly dwindling stack of UFOs (some may be destined for the bin. sssshhh don’t tell them)
Organize the mountain of fabric and turf some old stuff with which I will never never never get back together!!!

Beezus Identicon Icon Beezus December 30, 2012 at 12:59 am

My first item that I resolve to tackle is putting together a list of UFOs that I have here at home. My goal is to finish up one a month (I don’t want to aim TOO high) along with all my other responsibilities. I’d also like to figure out how to better organize my time. It’s not a new resolution – I’ve been working on this one for a couple of months at least. Other than that, my major resolution is to bring fabric purchases down to the minimum. I finally feel like I have a decent stash of fabrics that I love and can’t wait to use!

Nancy Scott Identicon Icon Nancy Scott December 30, 2012 at 5:36 am

As with everyone else, organizing the sewing area is always a challenge. Mine gets organized weekly as I own a longarm quilting business and I sew at my studio where public / customers can walk in unannounced…. so I have to try to keep the cutting table clear for incoming quilts and the floor swept too !

Jan H Identicon Icon Jan H December 30, 2012 at 5:59 am

Last year I resolved NOT to get sucked into an end-of-year mystery quilt that always made me crazy. This year one resolution is to finish the last one I have left. From three years ago!!! Last year’s went to Hurricane Sandy Project Linus. I made a very big note in my quilting journal and reminded myself in great detail about what always made me unhappy. Aversion therapy worked. I read it myself anytime my resolve started to lessen! Good luck with yours. In the spirit of full disclosure-I didn’t do quite so well with some other resolutions.

Jane Identicon Icon Jane December 30, 2012 at 6:25 am

My resolution for 2013 is to make good use of the APQS Freedom machine that I just gifted to myself and finally quilt all those lovely tops (about 20 or something) that have been finished for ages now but just haven’t been quilted yet.

The other resolution is to make a really really really scrappy quilt in all my favorite colors (turquiose, yellow and white) that will live right on my own bed when finished.

Joey Identicon Icon Joey December 30, 2012 at 6:54 am

I resolved for so many years to finish, declutter, organize… Last year was my best resolution ever.

I SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO PET FABRIC EVERYDAY!

I will sew as much as time allows, not buying fabric unless it’s to finish a project, (or it’s too stinking cheap I can’t go home with out it).

Kelleigh Bland Identicon Icon Kelleigh Bland December 30, 2012 at 7:11 am

This year is the year that I actually make a full sized quilt, maybe, no, definitely…I hope.

missey dobbin Identicon Icon missey dobbin December 30, 2012 at 8:11 am

i need to start sewing again :)

Robin (not ever sewing) Identicon Icon Robin (not ever sewing) December 30, 2012 at 10:02 am

This is the year I figure out paper piecing. I want in on all the cute hexies!

Tsigeyusv Identicon Icon Tsigeyusv December 30, 2012 at 10:43 am

I vow to finish my son’s “going away to college quilt” before he starts his sophomore year.

Anne Identicon Icon Anne December 30, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Working on my goals for 2013 as I read your post. Just knowing how many dated UFO’s others have is motivating.

Kathryn VanDenburgh Identicon Icon Kathryn VanDenburgh December 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I resolve to continue to find ways to organize my sewing room, finish the last of the UFOs (down to just a few after a year of work!), and work to teach my oldest daughter the relaxation that is sewing.

Nanette Identicon Icon Nanette December 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I really want 2013 to be a year of “making stuff.” My plan: to do a couple block-of-the-months (and keep up with them). To participate in a quiltalong–actively this time, instead of getting all excited about it at the beginning and pooping out a third of the way through. I want to finish some of the unfinished stuff that has been lurking around the sewing room. I want to get everything organized. And somehow I want to find a time to do all of these things!

carolyn Identicon Icon carolyn December 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I want to use my needle felter (never used),I bought this year and embroidery software with proficiency. Like others the unfinished projects need to be completed. However, I’m pretty sure i can not commit to not buy more fabric. I’m weak.
Happy sewing in the new year. Stitch away…….

Leah Barido Identicon Icon Leah Barido December 30, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I resolve to straighten my sewing area and finish at least 3 of my UFO’s. I also plan to improve my hand quilting skills and quilt one of my UFO’s by hand.
Leah

Lynne Identicon Icon Lynne December 30, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I resolve to stop PLANNING so many quilts, and actually make one.

Or ten. :)

Which I think means to stop scouring Flickr, Facebook, Blogger and Pinterest and to instead (gasp) just sew, already!

Kim Identicon Icon Kim December 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I resolve to quilt the 2 bargello quilts that I am terrified to do.

Bonnie M. Identicon Icon Bonnie M. December 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I’m the first to admit to ADD when it comes to all things crafty…I now try to keep my projects smaller and manageable so that I am likely to finish them before my wandering sense of adventure moves on to something new! I have long since abandoned sock knitting, knowing that the second one never gets finished. I need to create more, experiment more. AND:
This year I need to* loosen up* and fearlessly attack the quilting of the tops that I have finished! My daughter has waited nearly 2 years for her “take to college” quilt!
Happy New Year*

Aunt Cindy Identicon Icon Aunt Cindy December 31, 2012 at 12:31 am

I am going to finish my brother’s wedding quilt before his 2nd anniversary in October. (Don’t judge!) I will keep a list of projects in progress and finish at least 3 UFOs besides the aforementioned wedding quilt as( that can’t really be deemed a UFO if I just have fabric in the bag from the quilt shop. I shall also clean up my basement that I destroyed when moving things when I got a longarm so my kids can play while I work. (Which implies it was ok to begin with, so let’s go with that…). I will also learn how to use a pantograph on the longarm.

I love reading everyone else’s goals, too!

Ivy Identicon Icon Ivy December 31, 2012 at 8:26 am

I resolve to finish the six main projects I’ve got going before I start anything else. I need fabric for one of them! :)

Kathy Nadel Identicon Icon Kathy Nadel December 31, 2012 at 10:39 am

My biggest resolution is to complete the move of my sewing room from my dining room table into my former office space in the basement, where less people will be appalled by the stacks of fabric, scraps and balls of thread! Other than that, I resolve to complete as many ufo’s as possible and bust that stash with any new projects!!

Susanj Identicon Icon Susanj December 31, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I hereby resolve to quit thinking about the projects and just do the projects……too much time spent thinking about how to………….just jump in and DO IT

Denise L. Identicon Icon Denise L. December 31, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’d like to get my stuff put away properly (we moved during the summer) and since I’m a new sewer I’d like to add to my limited sewing skills!

JoAnne T. Identicon Icon JoAnne T. January 1, 2013 at 2:25 am

I like Vicki Tymczyszyn’s resolution about finishing an old project before starting a new one. I’d thought a little about that before, thinking that I should finish all UFO’s first. Now, finishing an old one, start a new one, finish an old one and start a new one. I like it! This I can do!

sue Identicon Icon sue January 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I am challenging myself to whittle down my basket of UFOs, well, ok, how about three baskets of unfished projects….. In any event, I’m working on it… and I like the idea of finishing one of the started projects before beginning a new project. Nice approach, Vicki!

TexPat Identicon Icon TexPat January 3, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I resolve to sew. Every day. Whether it’s 8 hours or 15 minutes, I’m going to do something “sewing” every day. Work on improving my FMQ (it’s dire!), cut fabric, put together a project kit, or just pet fabric! I have dozens of small projects I need to do…mug rugs, several pillows, a couple dozen dish towels to pretty up, pot holders, table runners, bed runners, infinity scarves. Then there’s all the quilt patterns I’ve found that I just have to make! Getting to sew every day is why I retired!!!

Nancy D Identicon Icon Nancy D January 6, 2013 at 10:04 am

I resolve to finish at least three quilts already in progress, including the quilting and binding. I promise myself I will reorganize and consolidate my stash before the first day of Spring. Lastly I promise myself that I will make the wall hanging with the beautiful Palampore I bought in The Netherlands several years ago.

Maryellen Identicon Icon Maryellen January 6, 2013 at 10:32 am

I resolve to spend more time sewing, and less on the computer. I need to clean off the “pile” end of my sewing table, too. Some of it is scraps, but there are also some great fabrics buried under there, that should be folded and added to my organized shelves.

Janice Mc Laren Identicon Icon Janice Mc Laren January 6, 2013 at 10:39 am

My stitchy resolution for this year is to quilt 2 UFO’s that have been hanging around. The first one is a wall hanging I made for my husband for our 2nd anniversary 1 and 1/2 years ago. It is currently on the long arm and I may finish it today. The second quilt I made more than 6 years ago before I had my long arm and I am still debating how it should be quilted. I should just do it and get it done!

Diane McLauchlan Identicon Icon Diane McLauchlan January 6, 2013 at 11:29 am

Yes, ufo’s are on my list, but not at the top. More organization, sure. But this year I have 3 special quilts I want to make and enter in local shows, prior to them being gifts. The biggest challenge will be to make a Mariner’s Compass quilt for my son who has been raising his daughter, now 13, from day one as a single parent. And is now going to a university to help fulfill their dreams. The Mariner’s quilt was his request and I think, very appropriate.
Diane in Wyoming

Kathy Harris Identicon Icon Kathy Harris January 6, 2013 at 11:33 am

My goal is to finish many of my UFO’s. I’ve made a list of them and I’m working my way through it. Of course, there’s always new things I want to try too, but the UFO’s are priority.

Leslee Identicon Icon Leslee January 6, 2013 at 11:46 am

I have been able to do much machine quilting this year, my machines broke and I just have been able to get it fixed. My son graduated this year and I lost my job so its been a tough year for the both of us. but I am proud to say I just started a new and better job hopefully soon I will be able to get it fixed and make some more for the community I live in.

Beverly Identicon Icon Beverly January 6, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I resolve to clean out my spare bedroom (still filled with the toys from my 22 year-old son) so I can have a sewing space inside. I currently have to sew on a card table in my garage!!! I will begin to finish the dozen or so UFO’s from various classes I have taken. And most important, finish the quilt for my Grandaughter, Amelia that I wanted to give her on her birthday last August, by her birthday in August 2013. Hopefully, by writing this down, it will motivate me to get moving!

Janice Degraw Identicon Icon Janice Degraw January 7, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Hi, all.
I’m afraid to cut my small stash, so I resolve to start cutting up!!!!
Especially since I have a Great Grandson soon-to-be-born.
I would buy 1 yard of different fabrics on sale, so have a mish-mosh already.
Any extra colors will be welcome!
Jan

jody c Identicon Icon jody c January 7, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I resolve to get all of my designs, ready to be printed and listed online, by the spring of this year! I will do this!! :)
I will also vend at at least 6 quilt shows this year!!

Pam Barman Identicon Icon Pam Barman January 7, 2013 at 11:13 pm

My resolution for 2013 is to not allow myself the fun of starting a new project, unless I finish a UFO first! So far, so good…but the month isn’t even half over yet!

Kimberly Jones Identicon Icon Kimberly Jones January 8, 2013 at 12:29 am

I’m tackling my sewing room too. I did it in Jan 2012. After a year of clutter, I’ve decided a couple of the ideas don’t work.
Really could use a fq bundle for my grand-daughter (7yrs) who just got her first sewing machine..a Janome Hello Kitty machine.
Good Luck with your clear out!
Kim

Cindy C. Identicon Icon Cindy C. January 8, 2013 at 4:34 am

My objective, my goal, my 2013 promise to “me”: Is just that – “me”:

“me” time sewing, “me” time quilting, “me” time learning, “me” time developing my sewing blog to make it more appealing, “me” time to attend classes at my favorite sewing/quilting shop, “me” time to integrate more Machine Embroidery into my projects AND just “ME” time to enjoy.

Jeanne Identicon Icon Jeanne January 8, 2013 at 8:45 am

I know that most quilters have trouble with getting ufo’s finished but I have the opposite problem if I don’t finish every project before I start another I feel terribly guilty so my resolution is to allow myself the pleasure of having more than one project going at the same time and NOT feeling guilty about it! Please don’t throw tomatoes at me! :-)

Anne Wiens Identicon Icon Anne Wiens January 8, 2013 at 9:52 am

Hey, Megan-

If making a Lone Star quilt is more important than mastering bias edges, try QuiltSmart’s Lone Star interfacing. You use rectangles…no bias edges.

Anne Wiens Identicon Icon Anne Wiens January 8, 2013 at 9:56 am

Oh, and my resolution is to reclaim my studio from the hoarde of farbric and quilts (finished and unfinished) that have forced my sewing machine and I out into the livingroom…and are threatening to take that over as well.

bonnie Identicon Icon bonnie January 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

Clean my sewing room and organize (again)
Finish the quilts for the grand kids (5)
Start another year with my charity group…
make a big deal out of my 100th chairty quilt
Make a quilt for my bedroom
plan for a big year and celebrate a milestone birthday

Kathy C Identicon Icon Kathy C January 23, 2013 at 11:03 am

I resolve to take at least 2 classes on how to quilt – and then actually do some quilting. I have at least half a dozen tops stacked up. Sending them out is getting too expensive!

I did achieve my 2012 goal of putting together all the BOMs that had accumulated. They are tops now!

Previous post: